Thursday, September 13, 2012

The summer wedding in the Old Church of Petäjävesi


I went to see a wedding in the Petäjävesi old church on 14th of July. The weather was grey and a little rainy, even cold. I arrived at the church and had to wait for the wedding to begin. People arrived, some nervous, some a bit confused. I believe I was the most confused and nervous of them all, since I didn’t know anyone or what I was even doing.
  We all went inside the church. First we heard some music, and then the bride and groom marched inside, looking as gorgeous as people always do in weddings. We all stood up as they walked to the altar, and the priest started talking. There were prayers and bible phrases and speeches and all that normal wedding stuff. Finally, they got to the actual matrimony. The priest asked the couple the famous words about them wanting to be with each other for the rest of their lives, and the answer was “yes” from both of them. Rings were given, and more talking. After that there wasn’t much left, just some prayers and talking, and then, lastly, music as the freshly married couple walked out of the church. It was raining very hard outside, but it didn’t really bother anyone. Rice was thrown on the couple. They left first to the actual festival site. After that everyone just drove away behind them, and I waited by the church (in the rain, may I add) to get back home.
The whole thing didn’t take very long, only about 30 minutes, and there weren’t all that many people attending the wedding. Sadly I couldn’t do any questionnaires, but I took a bunch of pictures, some of which I hope are helpful in imagining the event.









  Thank you for reading J.


 Noora and Bětka

No comments:

Post a Comment