Friday, September 14, 2012

Prague – Been out of sight but not out of mind


I can’t describe how excited and impatient I felt when I suddenly realized that after one week we would already be in Prague. Like you hadn’t seen your teenage crush in ages. It has been almost ten years since the last time we met. Honestly, I almost lost my appetite and if you knew me like my friends do, you’d be sure it’s something serious.

In the airplane the excitement just grew and I can assure you, I wasn’t the only one. It was easy to read it from everyone’s faces. Because of a very lucky chance, the captain of the plane invited me to the cockpit. Not sure which was more thrilling: to follow the pilots at work or to be able to see how we were approaching my sweetheart. A pretty cool start for our adventure, I must say.

From the very first beginning, she showed us only her good sides: interesting, fascinating, kind and intellectual. And oh boy, she sure is gorgeous! When I saw all the familiar streets, squares and buildings, I felt like I was back home again. Even her scent was exactly the same, just like I remembered. Strange but true, I have never experienced such feeling anywhere else no matter where I have roamed. This is where I belong.

The hospitality of Prague astounded me again. Even if there is this massive language barrier, the locals are always smiling and willing to help. Body language and good old pen & paper –combo are a great way to communicate without a common language. After you’ve learnt some basic phrases like thank you, please and hello, you’ll be just fine!

At the end it’s hard to say where the very beauty of Prague lives. Is it in the breathtaking architecture? Can you find it from their amazing culture? Maybe from lively pubs and beautiful cafes? Or does it simply dwell in the hearts of the inhabitants?

I once heard someone say: ”God is well, He’s feeling fine and He lives in Prague.” I agree.

See you soon, my love. I will miss you.


Juri Pietiläinen

No comments:

Post a Comment