Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pilgrimage on the occasion of feast of St. John Nepomuk

On 12th and 13th May pilgrimage masses took place in the Church of St. John Nepomuk on the Green Hill. It’s celebrated every year at the weekend before or after the celebrations of St. Jan Nepomuk.
Why is the festival of Jan Nepomuk celebrated in Žďár nad Sázavou, when he lived and worked in Prague?
Jan Nepomuk belonged to the religious order which founded the monastery in Žďár nad Sázavou. Jan Nepomuk was worshiped by this religious order and therefore abbot Vejmluva asked Santini to build a church on the Green Hill to honour  St. Jan Nepomuk.
Since that time, pilgrimage masses have been celebrated in this church.( it happened at the beginning of 18th century)
How was it going this year 2012?
Since Friday 11th people were visiting this place to admire  stunning architecture. The first mass was on Saturday at 5 o’clock. On Sunday five masses were celebrated . Even though there were so many masses, every time  the church was absolutely full of people.
I asked the visitors about our questionnaire and they answered me:
„It was absolutely beautiful! I go there every year and I love it. This church has amazing atmosphere.“( said a woman from Radňovice, a nearby village)
„We are here for the first time and it’s very nice. I was surprised by the architecture. It’s wonderful.“ ( said a man from Liberec.)
„I have seen lots of churches and I go to the mass on the Green Hill every Sunday, but this mass in this church was the best I have ever visited.“ (said a man from Žďár nad Sázavou.)
„I‘ve never seen so many people in this church!“ (said a woman from Žďár nad Sázavou.)



                                                                Míša Mužátková

No comments:

Post a Comment